GOT QUESTIONS? SPINE SPECIALIST IN INDIA ANSWERS IT!
A laminectomy is one of the most common spinal surgeries. In a laminectomy, a surgeon removes a piece of bone in your back called a lamina or ligament. After surgery, pressure is relieved on the spinal nerves, relieving pain and weakness in that area.
The average success rate for spinal fusion depends on the condition it is being used to treat, but it ranges from 70 to 90% in most cases.
The risks of spinal surgery are minimal. However, the possibilities do exist and could include:
- Neurological deficit
- Reactions to drugs or anaesthesia
- Blood clots in the lungs or legs
- Nerve damage.
- Heart attack
The incidence of risk depends on the patient’s condition and the type of surgery performed.
Most back pain improves spontaneously within 3 months.
Back pain is one of the most common reasons he sees a doctor. Common treatments include anti-inflammatory drugs, heat or ice, and physical therapy.
Depending on the diagnosis, it may be time to seek surgery when non-surgical treatments are unsuccessful.
The average cost of spine surgery in India is around Rs. 1,89,000.00 to 8,50,000.00. However, different hospitals in each city may have different prices.
You will be encouraged to walk and exercise the day after surgery, and you can be discharged from the hospital 1 to 4 days later. It takes about 4-6 weeks to reach expected levels of mobility and function (this depends on your pre-operative condition and the severity of your symptoms).
Following are some tips to strengthen spinal suuport:
- Give your spine plenty of rest while you sleep. If you sleep on your back, place a pillow under your knees to reduce the strain on your lower back. If you sleep on your side, place a pillow between your knees to balance your lower back. Some people benefit from neck pillows that support the cervical spine. Try several different types of pillows to find the most comfortable one.
- Work your core to strengthen your abs and back muscles.
- Shoes should support your spine.
- Go get a massage!
If You Have Any Questions? ASK NOW!
Dr. Parthasarathy Srinivasan was one of eight candidates selected from many aspirants from all the member countries of the Asia-Pacific Orthopaedic Association (APOA) for the prestigious APOA Depuy Spine travelling fellowship – Oct 2009.
Dr. Parthasarathy Srinivasan
D.Ortho, DNB Ortho, FNB (Spine Surgery), MNAMS.